Before you start moaning and groaning about New Year's resolutions and writing it off as stupid and something-I’m-not-gonna-stick-to-anyway-so-why-do-it, hear me out. Is it really such a bad thing to have goals for yourself? I must admit, I've almost never stuck with any of my resolutions before, and I think I know why.
I realized that my resolutions were either totally unreachable, I didn’t really want to do it, I didn’t know how to go about it, and most importantly, I wasn’t enjoying it or it didn’t make me happy. So this year, I’m doing things a little differently; I’m going to set easy, reachable and enjoyable goals and only do things that bring me happiness. The “theme” for my New Years resolutions for 2012 is:
“Do what you love, and do it often.”
Now, that’s actually harder than it sounds. I need to figure out what I really love doing and what really makes ME happy, not what makes other people happy.
So, I’m going to do what I love, and I’ll do it more often:
- I love going on date nights with The Boyfriend
- I love burning candles in my house
- I love having lunch outside (open air restaurants or picnics)
- I love talking to my family on Skype.
- I love shopping and browsing.
- I love playing and cuddling with dogs
- I love watching my favorite TV shows
- I love traveling
- I love getting flowers for my house
- I love going out to restaurants with good friends
- I love reading
- I love buying gifts for loved ones
- I love going for walks in the city
- I love blogging
- I love taking photos
- I love being creative at work
- I love praying
- I love baking
- I love sending handwritten letters
- I love watching movies
Hopefully I managed to change your view on New Year’s resolutions. If not, well, you are lucky to be so freakin’ perfect! ;-) If so, please share your goals for 2012.