In one of my very first blog posts, I shared ten facts about myself. Today, I will be sharing some more facts about myself, although these are definitely the lesser known ones.
10 Things you probably didn’t know about me:
1. I was in a TV commercial in Taiwan – I was approached by my friend’s talent agent and got cast as an extra in a Chimei (TV company) commercial. Even though I was only in the background, barely visible, and only for 3 seconds, I got to travel to a small island between Taiwan and China for free, got paid a lot of money, and met some really cool people.
(Catch a glimpse of me at the 0:49 mark. Don't blink, because you might miss it!)
2. I love Indian and Thai food, but I don’t like spicy food – Whenever I tell people how much I love Indian food and Thai food, they usually reply with: “Oh, you must love spicy food then.” Well, actually, I hate spicy food! I always choose non-spicy meals when ordering Indian and Thai food.
3. I really enjoy organizing and cleaning – To most normal people, organizing and cleaning seems like a job that they wish they didn’t have to do. I, on the other hand, really really enjoy these types of activities. It makes me feel in control and calm.
4. I’m fully bilingual – In South Africa, we have 11 official languages, so most people are either bilingual or trilingual, English usually being most people’s second language. My first language is Afrikaans, and I learned English in school and by watching TV and movies. Now I’m an English teacher in Asia.
5. I’m almost totally blind in my right eye – I was born with one of my pupils not being in the centre of the iris. I can see with this eye a little, but not in detail, so I don’t “use” it. My healthy eye adapted to do the work of both eyes, which means I still have perfect vision and don't need to wear glasses. When I was 17, I had a surgery to move the pupil more to the centre of the iris, which improved my vision a little bit. But now the pupil doesn’t dilate.
6. I’m a morning person – This has been a recent discovery of mine. I always thought that I loved sleeping in and staying up late. Maybe I did.. when I was younger. Nowadays, my body is so used to getting up early (I get up at 6:15am every morning) that I wake up early over the weekends, too. I get so much done and feel like I didn’t waste away my day. I do have to take a nap in the afternoon though, otherwise I’ll pass out at 9pm on a Saturday night.
7. I have a strong dislike for Mandy Moore and Nicholas Cage – Don’t ask me why. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I just really don’t like these two actors. Mandy Moore annoys me because she always sings in her movies, and Nicholas Cage annoys me because I don’t think he opens his mouth big enough when he talks. What the hell?
8. I hate driving, but I really love being a passenger – I was 22 when I finally decided to get my driver’s license. I really don’t like driving and tried to avoid this for as long as I can. But because I like to be independent, I just had to do it. I do, however, love being a passenger, and especially going on road trips. Luckily The Boyfriend loves driving, so once again, there’s proof that we are perfect for each other.
9. I really can’t stand long nails – Not on me, or on anyone else. I think it’s disgusting what types of bacteria might be under there, and how do you get things done with those claws.
10. I love my job – When most people complain about their jobs, I just thank my lucky stars that I absolutely love mine! Yes, I also love weekends, just like the rest of society, but going to work for me is fun, and not the dreaded experience that it seems to be for most people.
What is one thing that almost no one knows about you?